Net Worth Update | November 2019 | $259,684

December 18, 2019

I apologize for the late post, but November was an exciting month! My net worth increased by $12,340, which is the most it has gone up in a single month. I also hit $250,000! WOOOHOOOO! This is a great reminder that investing makes a huge impact. Out of the $12,340 increase, only $5,250 was from my accounting job.

Before I jump into my net worth, I share one way I saved money, one way I invested for my future and one purchase I regret. I hope this will give you ideas on how you can save money and invest in your future.

Saving Money
I spent $25 at Pet Supplies Plus on their Dirty Dog Discount card, which allows for 5 self-wash dog washes. It usually costs $10 per dog wash, but if you purchase the card, you’ll save $25 overall.



Investing in my Future
November was a quiet month financially. I didn’t spend anything outside of necessities but expect something to be in this section in December!

Regretful Spending
My passport needed to be renewed this month and I had misplaced my passport. I notified the government that it was lost, which mean my application fee for a renewal of $110 turned into a new application fee of $145. The day I went to apply for a new passport, I found my old passport. Ughhhhh the $35 wasted is still on my mind. 

I use a combination of Excel and Personal Capital to track my net worth and financial accounts.



Cash: $88,417 (-1,395)
My cash amount decreased this month because I transferred money into my brokerage accounts.

I have a large portion of my net worth in cash for when I purchase my first home. A significant portion of this amount will go towards a 20% down payment and furnishing my house. Don’t worry; it is held in a high yield savings account.

Brokerage: $52,330 (+6,517)
I contributed $3,500 to my brokerage accounts this month. I purchased shares of McDonald’s (MCD) at $193 per share. Most of my market gains are from Disney’s (DIS) stock performance due to Disney+.

In my brokerage accounts, I invest in a mix of individual dividend paying companies and growth stocks.

401(k): $53,501 (+4,326)
Over 50% of the increase was related to market gains and the remaining increase is from my contributions. I have $213 left till I contribute the maximum allowed for 2019!

I contribute 30% of each paycheck to my 401(k) and my employer matches a portion of what I contribute. The contributions are automatically invested in the following index funds:
- 25% Blue Chip Growth Index Fund
- 25% Large Growth Index Fund
- 50% S&P 500 Index Fund

Roth IRA: $60,052 (+1,985)
November’s market gains were mainly due to Boeing’s (BA) stock increasing slightly.

In my Roth IRA accounts, I invest in a mix of individual dividend paying companies and ETFs. You can see my stock portfolio holdings to see what companies and ETFs these are.

Pension: $3,137 (+10)
My employer contributes $10 every month to my pension.

HSA: $2,248 (+897)
I have a high deductible health insurance plan that allows me to have a health savings account (HSA). I plan to contribute the maximum amount allowed for 2019, which is $3,500 of pre-tax income for an individual. I contribute $438 per paycheck. My employer does not contribute to my HSA, only I do. My brokerage firm charges a quarterly fee of $18 to maintain my HSA. I try to not pay any fees, but this one is unavoidable and my current income tax deferral ($770) outweighs the annual fees ($72).

100% of the contributions are automatically invested in a S&P 500 Index Fund. Unless a medical emergency occurs and my personal savings are depleted, I will not withdraw from this account and will let my contributions grow. I will be saving my receipts for qualified expenses and request reimbursement when I retire.  

How was your November?
I would love to hear how your month went! If you have a financial blog, please let me know below, so I can follow you along your financial journey.

I welcome feedback and suggestions!

2 comments:

  1. It’s truly amazing that you manage saving so much! Do you mind also start a journal of your detailed expense such as food, housing, transportation and entertainment... Etc, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jon. Thank you so much for reading my blog post on how November went for me and for the feedback. I will start to add a section breaking down my monthly expenses starting on the January 2020 update. I plan to post a breakdown of all my expenses for 2019 the week of January 13th, so be on the lookout for that.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.