Net Worth Update | October 2019 | $247,345

November 06, 2019

October was an uneventful month for me regarding my finances. I was hoping for my investment portfolio to perform better, but it’s been up and down from earnings season. I am so close to reaching a quarter of a million dollars and I have an amazing feeling I will achieve this goal in November.

Before I jump into my net worth, I thought it would be fun to share one way I saved money, one way I invested for my future and one purchase I regret. I hope this will give you ideas on how you can save money and invest in your future.

Saving Money
I used the app Dosh help me save $10 this month. Dosh will occasionally offer 5% or more cash back for purchases at Sam’s Club. I purchased a $200 gift card and received $10 cash back. I can use this gift card at Sam’s Club or Walmart in the next couple of months on groceries, household items, and Christmas presents.

Investing in my Future
I started to swing trade with my money in October. I found Ricky Gutierrez’s YouTube channel at the beginning of this year and have been learning about how to analyze patterns in the stock market. I was practicing with paper trading and have finally built up enough confidence to use to my money.

Regretful Spending
I realized I am spending more than needed on gas. I usually fill up my tank 3 times a month, but this dumb. My commute to work round-trip is only 16 miles and I live in a small town where I don’t need to drive long distances. I need to do a better job of running my errands as I am going to work or coming home. That way I don’t have to make multiple trips out. I believe I can get it down to only filling up twice a month to save at least $30 on gas and decrease the wear and tear on my car. At least my dog has enjoyed all the extra car rides.


I use a combination of Excel and Personal Capital to track my net worth and financial accounts.


Cash: $89,812 (-122)
My cash amount decreased slightly this month because I transferred money into my brokerage accounts.

I have a large portion of my net worth in cash for when I purchase my first home (hopefully before the year ends). A significant portion of this amount will go towards a 20% down payment and furnishing my house. Don’t worry; it is in a high yield savings account.

Brokerage: $45,813 (+1,831)
I contributed $1,500 to my brokerage accounts to start swing trading with. Towards the end of October, I purchased one share of Amazon (AMZN) for $1,690, which resulted in at least $100 of unrealized gains. I plan to sell my share of Amazon in November if the stock price rises to around $1,835.

In my brokerage accounts, I invest in a mix of individual dividend paying companies and growth stocks.

401(k): $49,175 (+3,611)
About 50% of the increase was related to market gains and the remaining increase is from my contributions. I expect to reach the $19,000 maximum contributions for 2019 by mid-December! WOOT WOOT!

I contribute 30% of each paycheck to my 401(k) and my employer matches a portion of what I contribute. The contributions are automatically invested in the following index funds:
- 25% Blue Chip Growth Index Fund
- 25% Large Growth Index Fund
- 50% S&P 500 Index Fund

Roth IRA: $58,067 (-2,181)
In October, I purchased shares of Exxon Mobil (XOM) at $67. The decrease is primarily related to the decline of Ford (F) and AB Inbev’s (BUD) share price.

In my Roth IRA accounts, I invest in a mix of individual dividend paying companies and ETFs.

Pension: $3,126 (+10)
My employer contributes $10 every month to my pension.

HSA: $1,352 (+914)
I have a high deductible health insurance plan, which allows me to have a health savings account (HSA) through my employer. I plan to contribute the maximum amount allowed for 2019, which is $3,500 of pre-tax income for an individual. I contribute $438 per paycheck. My employer does not contribute to my HSA, only I do. My brokerage firm charges a quarterly fee of $18 to maintain my HSA. I try to not pay any fees, but this one is unavoidable.   

100% of the contributions are automatically invested in a S&P 500 Index Fund. Unless a medical emergency occurs and my personal savings are depleted, I will not withdraw from this account and will let my contributions grow. I will be saving my receipts for qualified expenses and request reimbursement when I retire.  

How was your October?
I would love to hear how your month went and what goals you have set for the rest of the year! If you have a financial blog, please let me know below. I would love to follow you along your financial journey.

I welcome feedback and suggestions!

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.